Imagine you have got a writing assignment, and you want to put your best foot forward. Your task is to write a high-quality essay, but you don’t know where to begin. What would you do? Many students don’t know what they should do first when they need to write an academic paper. However, the answer is simple: every A-grade essay starts with a good essay outline.
What is an essay outline?
Simply put, an essay outline is a plan of your essay. It is essential when you want to build up your text and transform your main ideas into paragraphs. Moreover, it is much easier to write an essay if you already have a well-organized outline.
Essay outline: 5-level format
The most common type of essays consists of five paragraphs, therefore your outline should represent this structure. Here is how it should look like:
- Here you introduce the subject of your essay and state your thesis.
- Main body. There will be at least three paragraphs, so remember to incorporate all of them into your outline.
- Here you summarize your paper and restate your key statement once again.
How to write a perfect essay outline?
While composing an essay outline can be difficult, here are several simple tips to help:
- First of all, read (and reread!) the instructions very carefully. Be sure you know what are you going to do.
- Answer the question, “Why do I write this essay?” Your key concept and essay’s structure will depend on your goals.
- Think of the audience. Who are they? Do they know about your topic? How should you communicate with them?
- Pick an essay outline structure that works best for you.
An essay outline is a crucial component of every academic paper. It helps you not only to organize your thoughts but also not to miss something important while writing.