We believe that you are here because you have been perhaps a victim of an unfortunate car accident. These incidents often happen every other day in the Portland area. They can also occur in the blink of an eye, and be caused by someone else’s negligence. Car accidents can be tragic, result in permanent bodily injuries, and create an emotional trauma that could decrease your quality of life.
As we mentioned before, car accidents are mainly provoked by someone else’s failure to act responsibly. For that reason, if you were the victim, it is important for the other party to be found liable for your damages. It is crucial to understand that after suffering a car accident in Portland, you will be entitled to receive compensation for all of your damages.
However, you will need legal assistance from a qualified attorney to achieve this goal. Injury attorneys are trained individuals who will guide you through all of the complexities that surround a legal process. For that reason, we urge you to join us throughout this article, so that you can learn about the benefits of hiring a legal expert to confront legal car accident difficulties.
Most Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents are the most common incidents not only in Portland but also in the United States as well. On the other hand, there can be a number of factors that can lead to these unfortunate events. Now, let’s review some of the most common causes of car accidents.
- Speeding: The faster you drive, the less control you will have of your vehicle. It is mandatory to drive within the speed limits to avoid suffering an accident that can result in death h or other injury
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or other substances: This action is plain and simple a federal crime. These moments of euphoria can end tragically because individuals who are driving under the influence are not aware of their actions. In other words, they will not notice that they are speeding or driving recklessly.
- Reckless driving: Emotionally affected individuals tend to drive in an unsafe manner. Other examples of reckless driving are driving between lanes, making illegal U-turns, and not respecting traffic lights.
- Distracted driving: Cell phones can distract drivers a lot. Texting while driving can lead to running over pedestrians and cyclists, as well as causing other car crashes
Statistics of Car Accidents
- According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), in 2019, there were 6,180 fatal and injury reported crashes in Portland.
- The NHTSA reported that in 2019, 50 individuals lost their lives due to car accident related causes. in Portland.
- The 2019 cost of car crashes in the United States was $380 million.
- The NHTSA reported that every year there are nearly 3 million vehicle-related injuries in the United States.
What You Should Do if You Suffer a Car Accident
After getting in a crash, it is important to stay calm, and follow the right steps to avoid making matters worse. The first course of action will be to verify the license plate number of the party at fault. Whether your injuries are severe, or mild, we suggest that you call 911 to get immediate medical attention.
After verifying the damages to your vehicle, you will have to call your insurance company and inform them about every detail of your accident. Furthermore, gather the necessary evidence. For example, try getting photographs of your injuries, vehicle, registration plate of the opposing car, and traffic lights. Additionally, do not leave the accident scene until police and medical assistance arrive at the scene
Benefits of Hiring a Car Accident Lawyer
- Protecting your interests: Insurance companies will usually tend to undermine your claim. An attorney on the other hand, will do the talking for you so you can reach a settlement with the insurance adjusters. And not just any settlement, but the one you deserve!
- Filing your claim: Building a strong claim is demanding. This includes gathering medical records, obtaining testimonies from witnesses, interviewing experts, and securing police reports. As you can see, there is a lot at stake to create a strong case. A qualified attorney will be able to deliver these mentioned obstacles throughout your case.
- Making sure you get compensated: An attorney will increase your odds of receiving a fair compensation for your damages. They can add value to your claim by financially assessing your damages.
- Gathering evidence: When fault is unclear, there are certain types of evidence that will strengthen your claim. That is why it is important to take photographs after the accident. Attorneys can seek eyewitnesses and access camera footage to determine the cause of the accident. All to reconstruct the event as accurately as possible.
Get Legal Assistance in Portland
We are certain that you are now more informed on the causes of car accidents, and the legal complexities that may arise after suffering this event. If you suffered a car accident in Portland, qualified attorneys will make sure you get fairly compensated. We urge you to stop hesitating and reach out to one right now!