Have you experienced living in poverty? Being in that life situation is not easy. People in poverty experience inequality, food insecurity, discrimination, and more. And even if many face these, some people still choose to turn a blind eye and not bother. Good thing some individuals still care, and you will see them through private organisations and volunteer programmes.
TAKING ACTION AGAINST POVERTY
People in the community face many challenges. Sometimes, it depends on their job, studies, or entire life situation. But whatever it is, societies are willing to lend help and assist. You will see these kinds of individuals in different groups. And, you can be one of them. If you are going to volunteer for people living in poverty, you should know how to take action and help them. Here are some methods you and your group can do:
PLAN AND ORGANISE
One of the things you can do is to plan and organise. Those are necessary before you make a move. This way, you will see if you are missing something or know the harmful impacts of your actions. Checking the effects of poverty can help you create plans, especially in organising the programme.
PUT YOURSELF IN THEIR SITUATION
Before you plan, you can also try putting yourself in the situation of people in urban and rural poverty. It can help you understand them more, making you look for ways to support them. Do it by reading news or stories of people living there. Check what they need, and provide it.
IMPROVE WORKER INCOME
Low income is one of the reasons why many people are still at the poverty line. But, improving the worker income is not achievable without the help of other parties. It could be the company that people are working at or private organisations. Those who undergo this experienced educational inequality, making them get positions or jobs that have low revenue.
BE CONSIDERATE WHEN IT COMES TO FEES
But aside from improving the income, the fees also have a role in poverty. It could be the food price, health fees, or rental cost. If a country keeps on thriving, the economy also gets better. Sadly, not everyone gets its advantages, especially those in poverty.
TRANSFER THEM SOMEWHERE COMFORTABLE
Living in poverty also means being in an unsafe environment. The homes they live in are not enough to shelter and protect them from disasters and calamities. With this, it is helpful to transfer them to a place where they will be comfortable and safe. Coordinating with the government is one way to make this plan successful.
GET SUPPORT FROM OTHER PRIVATE ORGANISATIONS
Taking action against poverty is not easy. But, considering situations can help you guarantee that your plans and goals will succeed. And by getting the help of private organisations, you can do it. You can collaborate with them by laying your programmes and letting them have their move.
CHECK WHAT PEOPLE IN POVERTY NEED
When it comes to people living in poverty, know the necessary factors to help your campaigns become successful. And learning what they need is essential. You can plan how to help them and provide for their needs, whether short-term or long-term. Going back is okay because help does not have a schedule. You can do it anytime, anywhere, and in many ways. These are the necessities that they need:
- Food – it is the one that individuals need every day. Without food, surviving could be difficult. People need to have the nutrients their body needs to ensure that they can keep being healthy.
- Water – if food is necessary, so is water. Those who do not have access to clean and drinkable water can only survive for days. Water can keep you away from health conditions, especially dehydration.
- Shelter – a house is necessary for a person or a family. It is the place where they can stay to sleep and rest, and it will be their shelter if there are calamities or other dangers. Sadly, some people who cannot get a home choose to sleep or stay in the streets.
- Education – poverty and education will always come together. Learning can open many opportunities, especially in looking for a job. Many also say that education is the stepping stone or foundation to a better life.
- Health– this factor is one of the things that they have limited access to because of high hospital bills or check-up fees. If they feel something in their body, they ignore it because they do not have enough money to pay for their needs. They wait for the condition to get severe and unbearable first before visiting a professional.
These five are only some of the necessities they need. And, all people need these, too. You can know more about it by going deeper and learning more from them. Ask them the challenges they face, and maybe provide them with those once you get back.
ASSIST THEM WITH SKILLS WHERE THEY CAN EARN MONEY
People in the poverty line can show you skills that they can use to earn money. Help them enhance it by making them attend seminars or training. Governments and organisations can establish a programme for these kinds of opportunities. Once they are good with what they do, providing their service to people is one of the things they can achieve.
HELP THEM LOOK FOR A JOB
Job hunting can be difficult for some, especially those who encounter educational inequality. If they can find a position, they usually get a low income. With this, you can coordinate with private companies that need to hire.
The effects of poverty do not just revolve around not getting a decent meal, not having a proper education, and child labour. It is also about discrimination and bias. Before you take action, you need to know first what it is like to live in poverty. You can also learn its outcomes and how it affects people. Do something about these issues by coordinating with organisations or movements like The Best of You. Volunteering and sharing your story are only some of the opportunities you can have with them.